Maritime Awards Society of Canada


The Maritime Awards Society encourages its supporters and friends to donate directly to the established scholarship funds that exist at the following universities: Memorial University of Newfoundland, Dalhousie University, the University of Calgary, and the University of Victoria. Below, you will find detailed instructions on how to direct your contribution to the MASC endowment at the university of your choice. The recipient university will issue a tax receipt to you.

Memorial University of Newfoundland: The Maritime Awards Society of Canada has established the Commander Peter G. Chance Scholarship, an annual scholarship tenable at Memorial University of Newfoundland. The successful candidate will be a Canadian citizen studying in a “maritime based” program at either the Masters or Doctoral level. This scholarship will have a value of at least $5,000 a year and in some cases may be renewed for a second year. It will be awarded by the Dean of Graduate Studies upon the recommendation of the appropriate Academic Unit.

  • Gifts can be made to the Memorial fund by visiting (identifying the Maritime Awards Society in the “designation information” box on the donation form) or calling 877.700.4081. Memorial University will issue a tax receipt to you.

Dalhousie University: The Douglas M. Johnston – MASC Scholarship in Marine Affairs is an annual $5,000 award established by the Maritime Awards Society of Canada in memory of Douglas M. Johnston, former MASC Governor, Professor Emeritus at the University of Victoria, founding Director of Dalhousie’s Marine Environment Law Programme (MELP), co-founder of Dalhousie’s Oceans Studies Programme (DOSP) and a co-founder of the Southeast Asian Programme in Ocean Law, Policy and Management (SEAPOL). The scholarship is conferred on an annual basis to a Canadian citizen to pursue the Master of Marine Management (MMM) degree. Qualified applicants to the MMM are automatically considered for this scholarship upon completion of their application. Applicants must be a Canadian citizen, must demonstrate superior academic records, and may undergo a financial needs assessment.

  • Gifts can be made to the Dalhousie fund by contacting the Dalhousie University Development Office through (directing your contribution to the Douglas M. Johnston – MASC Scholarship in Marine Affairs scholarship fund) or calling 800.565.9969. Dalhousie University will issue a tax receipt to you.

University of Calgary: The Maritime Awards Society of Canada Graduate Scholarship is available to graduate students at the University of Calgary studying any subject that deals with improving the national awareness of the importance of maritime affairs to Canada’s future, which could include economic, environmental, historic, political, scientific, and sociological issues. Valued at $2,300, one award will be granted annually to a student registered full-time in a thesis-based graduate program, tenable in the University of Calgary Faculty of Graduate Studies. Students should consult the Graduate Award Competition guidelines and application guide. Deadline: February 1, to the candidate’s graduate program office, unless the program has an earlier deadline.

  • If you would like to contribute to the MASC endowment at the University of Calgary by cash, cheque, shares or another method of payment, please contact or 403-220-8261. To make a contribution online, please follow this link. The University of Calgary will issue a tax receipt to you.

University of Victoria: The Commander Peter Chance MASC Fellowship ($8,000) is awarded to a student pursuing graduate studies at the MSc or PhD level in an area pertinent to Canada’s maritime interests. Priority will be given to studies on ocean-related topics within such fields as history, economics, sociology, policy, engineering, and science.

  • Gifts can be made to the Victoria fund by contacting the University of Victoria Development Office at or calling 877.721.7624. Please identify the “Commander Peter Chance MASC Endowment” as the recipient of your contribution. The University of Victoria will issue a tax receipt to you.